Gallery Office Assistant, Hourly Part Time
24-28 hours/week; Mon/Wed/Thurs and occasional evening and weekends
The Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, CA is looking for an experienced, energetic individual for a part-time position as a Gallery Office Assistant. A flexible schedule is preferred.
To Apply: Email resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9/29/17.
- Marketing/Outreach: Promote gallery exhibitions and programs including targeted marketing campaigns to subject specific audiences.
- Maintain and update contact database and oversee mailings.
- Post gallery events.
- Send press releases and maintain press lists.
- Represent and organize gallery programs (onsite & offsite).
- Volunteer Program: Recruit, support, and recognize Bedford Gallery volunteers. The Gallery currently has 100 volunteers: 60 Docents (tour guides) and 40 Gallery Guild members (information services at admissions desk).
- Oversee Volunteer Management software Volgistics by updating with necessary documents, adding new volunteers, and updating volunteer schedule.
- Fundraising: Assist with exhibition advocacy, fundraising and development, including sending out fundraising letters, managing the membership database, processing donations and thank you letters.
- Gallery Operations: Set up gallery for public (lights, turn on media artworks, open cash drawer), meet with volunteer at beginning of their shift to answer questions and review POS system if needed, close out cash drawer at end of day and assist with gallery lock up.
- Manage the online POS system (ShopKeep) by updating inventory, updating accounts, training users, and assisting volunteers
- Prepare presentations (PowerPoint) such as New Season presentation, Annual Report, Arts Commission presentations, etc
- Create and manage gallery collateral: front desk binder used by volunteers and facility attendants, artist and press book, comment book, brochures, pricelists, audio tour
- Manage artwork sales, notify artists, prepare notification of sales
- Answers phones when volunteer is not at the front desk
- Timesheets: collects & reviews all staff timesheets and deliver to city hall bi-weekly
- Manage filing system, both digital and paper files
- Order and maintains office supplies and Docent supplies for tours and workshops
- Finance: Process weekly gallery deposits and revenue/expenditure tracking
- Prepare forms and reports for finance: credit card reconciliation report, staff mileage reports, petty cash
- Assist with finance and budget needs such as entering invoices, running reports, creating POs
- Complete weekly deposits and reconciliation sheets for finance
The Ideal Candidate Demonstrates:
- Knowledge or interest in contemporary artists, art world trends, art movements, and new media.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience with recruiting, training, and retaining community volunteers.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, and the public.
- Experience with contact databases.
- Experience with POS systems and cash handling procedures.
- Experience tracking admission and/or sales and basic bookkeeping.
- Power Point
- Adobe Acrobat
- Database software
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in fine arts, arts administration, art education, art history, or a related field of study; and a minimum of two years experience in community arts programming, museum education, arts instruction, or performing arts production.
Gallery interns receive hands-on experience in such areas as exhibition research and preparation, public relations, fundraising, and gallery administration. Interns use their skills with computers, graphic design, manual and power tools, writing, and phone reception to help organize exhibitions, publicize events, and meet administrative needs. Interns are asked to make a full semester and/or a three- to six-month commitment to the institution. Interns must be at least 18 years old. Interns are encouraged to receive school credit for their internship.
To apply for an internship, email your resume, cover letter, and availability to email@example.com.